Thursday, November 30, 2017

Cover FX Illuminating Setting Spray - Hit or Miss?!





Let’s talk setting spray for a moment, shall we? Let’s talk specifically about the Cover FX Illuminating Setting Spray ($31).


If you are a current BoxyCharm subscriber, you were lucky to get the full size illuminating setting spray from Cover FX in the November 2017 box. There was a lot of excitement over this product being included in the monthly box, so once my box arrived you better believe I pulled that spray out and went to town!



From the Cover FX website,
Ready. Set. Glow!  This alcohol-free setting spray provides instant illumination while giving your makeup serious staying power. The ultra-fine mist application delivers an even, luminous finish making this a perfect all-over highlighter for both face and body– and the more you mist, the more intense you glow.”  


When I think of Cover FX the first thing I think of is their gorgeous custom cover drops that can give you a lit from within glow or a strobe of blinding highlight. If those drops are that good, this illuminating setting spray has to be able to hold up to those, right? Wrong. While the setting spray does exactly what it says it will do, set your makeup and make you glow, it also does things that most people don’t want from a makeup product, turn you into a real life disco ball.
Let me explain, when you first go to use this setting spray, you will notice that you are instructed to shake the bottle very well and to keep your eyes and mouth closed during application. Ok, not too scary or hard, but the reason why you need to do this, is. After spraying on the setting spray (with a mister that is neither horrible or memorable, it is “meh”) you will quickly see you are illuminated - with glitter. Yes, you read that correctly, glitter. For those of you who are younger and have perfect skin with no visible pores or lines, maybe this spray would be great for you. But, for those of us with visible pores, textured skin and fine lines/wrinkles, this spray will accentuate every bump, pore and line on your face. Who wants a product that will visibly age you?! Not me, and that is what happened.


Wearing this product, it did keep my makeup in place like it promised it would do. I put it to the test for a “minimal” makeup day, around 10 hours of wear time. My makeup was holding up decently, but throughout the day I could not figure out for the life of me why my makeup was looking glittery. I was at a dance convention for my daughter, was someone I came in contact with wearing glitter? Did I rub my face and have glitter on my hands? Did my kids use a makeup brush with glitter and I didn't know when I was putting on my makeup? No, no and no. When I got home I tested out the spray on my bare arm, and low-and-behold, there were visible chunks of glitter on my arm. Not a good look.


In my experience with the Cover FX Illuminating Setting Spray, I cannot recommend this product to you. If you have any kind of texture, pores or lines on your face, this spray will emphasize that. Sadly, this full size bottle is going to be making its way out of my makeup stash and into my 7 year old’s makeup kit for dance. This spray is much more suited for that.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment